Head of Client Engineering (Coupang Play)
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year. We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
About Coupang Play
Coupang Play aims to reshape how Customers consume digital contents, ultimately making them say, "How did I ever live without Coupang". Created by strong product, engineering, and business teams out of Seoul and Singapore, Coupang Play will evolve at an unparalleled pace to become the most admired digital content platform in the markets we serve.
Coupang Play delivers an entertainment experience that is personal, delightful, and reliable. Our vision is to build one of the most loved digital entertainment platforms. We are obsessed about improving every step of the user experience, from the moment customers sign up for our service, register as a Wow members or find the content they are looking for across any platform of their choosing.
As Head of Client Engineering for Coupang Play team, you will be responsible for leading teams of mobile engineers and client engineers regionally to help us provide a beautiful cross-platform client experience. A successful candidate will have an established background in mobile app development, engineering leadership and is comfortable wearing multiple hats as technical lead, architect and engineering executive. You will hire and lead mobile app development teams locally, regionally and globally.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage a team of 10+ Mobile Engineers globally, plan to grow the team and help to develop top talent;
- Develop leaders and employees, help them grow inside organization;
- Establish a vision to renovate mobile engineering services;
- Effectively communicate, and enforce goals and objectives, feedback, measurable, and improvement plans;
- Monitor and understand the key metrics governing the mobile product area, with an eye toward continuously improving them through ongoing product innovation;
- Work cross functionally with other teams to help make their features fully accessible to all users. This role offers a unique chance to touch virtually every feature in Android or iOS application;
- Must be able to deliver high quality code on schedule, communicate with groups in and outside the development team;
- Build a productive and scalable mobile team.
- 5+ years management experience, including managing managers;
- 5 to 10 years of experience in mobile programming and mobile architecture;
- Previous experience building mobile applications with large customer adoptions;
- Love for building mobile applications and detailed knowledge of Android or iOS;
- Track of records of delivering large scale mission critical projects;
- Passion for delivering the best user experience possible on mobile;
- Familiar with agile development;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent from a fully accredited college or university.
Traits and Competencies
- Able to operate autonomously to manage projects in a fast-paced environment and remain focused amidst frequently changing requirements;
- Able to pitch and hold in depth discussions with the C-level stakeholders.
- Prior experience in OTT space;
- Prior start-up experience.