Head of Trust and Safety
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
This position will report to the VP of Legal / Deputy General Counsel and will be responsible for building and leading a global team that creates policy, ensures enforcement and fosters trust between Coupang and its community and customers. The successful candidate is able to think strategically about policy development and iteration, as well as tactically about enforcing said policy. This position requires a team player who can thrive in a fast-moving environment while building a compliance program for a .com retailer. This position will manage a team in Korea and require travel to Korea with work hours that accommodate international time zones in Asia and/or temporary relocation to Korea.
- Build, develop, and lead an innovative and world-class trust & safety product compliance function in a highly complex and visible area of the business
- Manage and mentor Coupang’s Credibililty Management Center, a team of 70+ employees and contractors, and provide direction, overall coordination, and evaluation of the team
- Own the trust and safety roadmap, collaborate with key business partners to set objectives and KPIs along with placing metrics to track progress against those goals
- Collaborate globally and cross-functionally with Legal, eCommerce, Policy, Engineering, Customer Service, and PR teams to understand and anticipate risks to the business and develop global solutions across operations and policy
- Oversee Policy and Fraud Detection teams for ensuring legal and regulatory compliance
- Be a vocal spokesperson for problems related to trust and safety issues across the business
- Understand top abuse concerns, quality, or insight data, and support your team in making recommendations to improve our product, policies, and procedures to keep the platform safe
- Regularly communicate and interface with leadership and global executives in crisis management situations
- Set and continuously refine Coupang’s policies and processes to prioritize Customer experience and safety, as well as selection expansion, by proactively monitoring trends and intelligence sources
- Prioritize assessing and implementing core tools and data-driven technology to develop and improve Coupang’s trust and safety capabilities (including content moderation, response, investigations, and reporting and analytics)
- Team player
- Program management
- Lead the Credibility Management Center, which consists of 70+ employees and contractors
- Develop and build the team in developing and assessing requirements for policy, moderation, emergency response, investigations, and products and engineering roles
- Help your team Identify opportunities for improving efficiency, training content and tools
- Provide people management, mentorship, and career development
This job operates in a professional open office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
This position will be performed in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the person will be required to sit and stand at a desk and is regularly required to talk or hear. The person will be required communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 20 pounds.
This position requires travel to 5% - 10% of the time.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelors degree (BA/BS) or equivalent
- 7 + years’ industry experience in online trust and safety
- Experience working with a broad array of cross-functional business partners
- Fluency in English or Korean (or both)
- Broad policy experience with robust knowledge of the technology sector and the key policy issues affecting the internet like advertising, free expression, and online safety
- Equally comfortable in the detail as shaping and influencing the big picture
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Ability to adapt easily to rapid and diverse business changes
- Strong and effective communication skills, both oral and written
- Sound judgment in developing and implementing solutions
Preferred education and experience:
- eCommerce industry experience.
- Proven track record in fighting bad actors in online marketplaces.
Additional eligibility qualifications:
Ability to either travel to Korea and work a schedule that accommodates Asia time zones and/or a willingness to temporarily relocate to Korea.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.