Principal, System Engineer (Cloud Platform)
Principal, System Engineer
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
As a Systems Architect / Principal Systems Engineer for our platform team, this role will focus on leveraging Cloud Platform infrastructure, services and processes at its best to help increase infrastructure & system Efficiencies, Productivity, scalability and system quality improvements at 10X scale. This role will be responsible for diving deep into business problems, understanding current customer pain points, system domain, current Platform limitations (if exists) and then work closely with engineering teams / leaders to design and architect new system / services leveraging cloud infrastructure that can scale 10X better, is reliable, and is highly available. The includes providing system architecture artifacts, accountability on cloud infrastructure choices that can perform and scale at 10X level but are still efficient, guidance on using right machine type, network designs etc . You will be part of a Global team working from different locations but still works as a central connected unit.
This role will possess a strong blend of technical, architect, hands on blended with leadership skills blended with result-oriented culture to deliver to needs of business at speed of light. The roles require strong Linux systems administration/engineering, networking, security & cloud environments skills. Have the ability to mix different AWS services to migrate existing services to the Cloud or improve current deployments. You will focus on Infrastructure automation, security and availability through fault-tolerant enterprise solutions.
Do you have a strong background on system design and architecture required for defining a design for Cloud Platform / system? Are you an execution-oriented with attention to detail on driving platform enhancements and improvements across the technology infrastructure stack? If you answered yes to the above, then you might be the right person to be the Principal System Engineer at Coupang.
- Serve as a technical architect on Cloud infrastructure layer.
- 100% accountable for quality of system architecture and design of system / Platform.
- Solves complex technical problems in our AWS environment plus improves Operations Excellence
- Strong ability to deep dive to understand current systems Cloud architecture to provide strategic partnership and improvements on network usage, role management, CDN, domains etc.
- Analyze complex distributed production deployments and recommend ways to optimize performance and/or automate processes by managing continuous integration servers, utilizing monitoring and testing tools
- Identify opportunities to make disruptive improvements in cloud infrastructure usage, operations and services with high degree of systematic automation.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance (millisecond latencies), scalability, availability (99.99% uptime), enterprise architecture best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical capabilities, and attention to detail
- Strong cultural change management experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 15+ years of system engineering or site reliability experience
- 5+ years of experience leading system design, architecture leveraging Cloud services (AWS/Azure/GCP etc.)
- 5+ years of demonstrable building and operating infrastructure as code. Comfortable with many flavors of Linux
- 5+ year’s of experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems in the cloud.
- 3+ years of experience mentoring junior engineers to success.
- Excellent cross-group collaboration, outstanding verbal and written communication.
- AWS Certification for SysOps on AWS, Developing on AWS, and/or AWS Architect or equivalent certification in different Cloud providers.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level system Engineer
- Excellent cross-group collaboration and communication skills
- Demonstrated virtual team leadership capabilities
Recruitment Process and Others
1. Recruitment Process: Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite Interview - Offer
(The recruitment process may be different depending on the job and may be changed due to scheduling and circumstances.)
a. This job post may be closed early if all openings are filled.
b. If there is any false information in the application, the offer may be cancelled.
c. Veteran status or disability will not result in any disadvantages in the recruitment process.
d. Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.