Senior Associate General Counsel - Transactions
Coupang is a global eCommerce leader and Korea’s largest consumer internet company. Our mission is to create a world in which our customers ask, ‘How did I ever live without Coupang?’ We place our customers first and offer them the best possible prices and product selection within a highly convenient and personalized shopping environment. We are the only company in Korea that has ever raised more than $1B USD in funding. As the largest unicorn in Korea, we have received more than $3.4B in funds from notable investors like Softbank’s Vision Fund, BlackRock, and Sequoia Capital. Korea is currently the 5th largest eCommerce market in the world at $80B; expected to increase to $146B by 2023, becoming the 3rd largest market in the world following China and the US. Coupang delivers over a million parcels each day to customers across South Korea, and dominates the marketplace because of our foundation focused on the “last mile” delivery to the customer.
Coupang Legal & Compliance team covering transactions and third-party risk management. Team of five attorneys and compliance officers (both Korean and foreign trained). The scope of our work includes leading transactions and providing legal and compliance advisory (across technology, commercial, corporate, and eCommerce), setting the standards for third party contracting across the company, and implementing a third party legal risk management framework across Coupang. We are continually looking for passionate builders who can work with us to fulfill our goals.
- Transactions: Lead and execute on a variety of transactions across the Technology, Commercial, Corporate, and eCommerce businesses and corporate functions. This will include drafting, reviewing, and negotiating all nature of contractual transactions. You will be hands on with end to end responsibility for legal support.
- Advisory: Provide legal advice to business partners on all contractual and related matters, including advising on interpretation of contractual terms and rights and obligations.
- Third party risk management: Design and implement a company-wide third-party legal risk management framework to set the standards for third party contracting with vendors across Coupang. This will include:
- Developing policies and procedures for minimum vendor contract standards and requirements.
- Setting legal risk assessment, review, and approval requirements for vendor contracts.
- Reviewing and preparing template contracts.
- Establishing necessary processes which may include implementing new technology systems.
- Being a central point of contact to oversee and monitor compliance with the third-party legal risk management framework.
- Building awareness across legal, corporate support, and business teams to improve contract standards and risk assessment of vendor relationships across Coupang.
- Collaboration: Work closely and collaboratively with internal business partners including Global Procurement, Finance, Corporate IT, and Security and Privacy on projects and company-wide initiatives. Demonstrate hands on experience but also the ability to handle and manage projects with other members of the team. Manage outside counsel retained to provide legal services.
- Projects and initiatives: Be willing to lead or provide support on other technology-related projects and initiatives. For example, open source software risk management – including developing policies and procedures relating to the use, distribution, and licensing of open source software.
- Qualified lawyer in the U.S., Korea or a common law jurisdiction (e.g. England, Australia, Singapore).
- At least 8-10+ years of post-qualification legal experience. A mixture of law firm and in-house experience is preferred.
- Fluency in English or Korean (or both).
- Exceptional ability to consistently deliver creative, thoughtful and business-oriented results that appropriately balance growth and risk in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment.
- A willingness to learn voraciously and take on new scope and challenges.
- Ability to adapt easily to rapid and diverse business changes.
- Strong and effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Sound judgment in developing and implementing legal solutions.