Senior/Principal Data Scientist
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. Our mission is to create a world in which Customers ask “How did I ever live without Coupang?” We are looking for passionate builders to help us get there. Powered by world-class technology and operations, we have set out to transform the end-to-end Customer experience -- from revolutionizing last-mile delivery to rethinking how Customers search and discover on a truly mobile-first platform. We have been named one of the “50 Smartest Companies in the World” by MIT Technology Review and “30 Global Game Changers” by Forbes.
Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
The experiment platform team at Coupang is looking for a Senior Principal Data Scientist with an extensive background in experimentation and statistical methods. Coupang embraces a data driven culture enabled by high velocity test and learn across all customer facing domains. You will have opportunities to work closely with many different areas including, marketing activation, home page, search and discovery, personalization and recommendation, payment and checkout, customer service. You will join a team of data scientists and engineers dedicated to building an experiment platform serving all of these areas and the associated users including product owners, engineers and business analysts. In addition, you will guide the teams to ensure the quality of experiment design and the accuracy of decision making.
- Measure site-wide impact from experiments and monitor long-term impact on customer behavior
- Leverage statistical methodologies and advances AI/machine learning to develop new approaches to shorten test durations, and improve decision accuracy
- Participate in key business initiative that requires experiment design and results analysis and interpretation
- Lead strategic analyses to develop success metrics and understand customer behavior
- Build a framework to provide prescriptive experiment results for users without deep knowledge on statistics
- Evaluate cross experiment effects
- Master degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Econometrics, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in analyzing large data sets to drive significant business decisions for online/e-commerce domain
- Strong statistical background, especially in experiment and modeling
- Proficiency in a statistics tool like R and Big Data tools (Hive, Spark, Presto)
- Exceptional presentation skills and ability to communicate methodologies, results clearly and concisely to company's top executives
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with cross-functional teams
- Experience with experimentation methodologies - post-stratification, quasi-experimental research designs, sequential testing
- Experience with Bayesian techniques, Multi-armed bandit algorithm
- Ability to drive research projects
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.