Senior Principal, Technical Accounting and Policy
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
In this role you will be accountable for helping the team responsible for Coupang’s technical accounting and policy matters. You will be an integral member of Coupang’s Accounting team helping our business to expand its size, scale, and maturity, while ensuring compliance with applicable accounting and reporting requirements.
What you will do:
- Responsible for developing, building and implementing processes to ensure our accounting application is globally consistent and in accordance with applicable accounting standards (predominantly US GAAP).
- Develop a global set of accounting policies, including practices for related training and awareness to ensure consistent application.
- Be the primary point of contact for researching emerging technical accounting issues/questions that arise, and documenting our related assessment and conclusions, diving deep to understand our complex processes and potential implications of various outcomes.
- Responsible for reviewing changes in applicable SEC and US GAAP rule making, and coordinating with our teams to ensure that we continually maintain compliance and implement best practices within this space.
- Assist in providing technical expertise and leadership to the finance organization on the treatment of accounting issues, implementation of new accounting standards and compliance with U.S. GAAP, SEC, and PCAOB regulations.
- Interface with external auditors as necessary for significant accounting matters and related documentation.
- Help build a team and capabilities for governance of all technical accounting related matters across the accounting organization.
- Assist with ad hoc projects and responsibilities as needed.
- Certified Public Accountant.
- Extensive experience from public accounting and/or public multinational companies.
- Must have prior deep hands-on US GAAP and SEC reporting experience.
- Ability to perform independent research and prepare analyses of the impact of accounting and regulatory pronouncements on the company’s accounting and reporting practices.
- Detail-oriented with demonstrated oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with senior management and influence decision making.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to adapt to change.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and drive them through to completion.
- Ability to work with all levels of personnel, from staff to executive management.
Recruitment Process and Others:
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.