Senior Workplace Health and Safety Manager
Coupang is one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce platforms on the planet. We are on a mission to revolutionize everyday lives for our customers, employees and partners. We solve problems no one has solved before to create a world where people ask, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Coupang is a global company with offices in Beijing, Los Angeles, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, and Silicon Valley.
About the Role:
The Sr. Workplace Health & Safety (WHS) Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring Coupang’s environmental safety programs and policies to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local environmental health and safety regulations.
You will lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce conditional and ergonomic risk in our processes to ensure a safe and healthful working environment for our employees. A successful Site WHS manager will demonstrate the ability to build trust and confidence across the sites and inspire change through providing comprehensive risk assessments and WHS data analysis.
You must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. You must demonstrate the ability to build trust and confidence with the teams and influence change through providing comprehensive risk assessments and safety data analysis. You will instruct and train employees in WHS policies and assist in incorporating our WHS standards across the US sites including but not limited to Fulfillment Centers (FC) and Office Buildings. You will work to identify best practices and incorporate these standard methodologies into our standards to continuously improve the WHS landscape.
WHS Manager Responsibilities:
- Possess a thorough understanding of OSHA & Cal-OSHA regulations.
- Maintain safety equipment inventory, perform periodic safety inspections.
- Provide guidance and oversight to ensure compliance to all applicable Coupang WHS Policies
- Measure the FC performance against published requirements in safety policies. For all deficiencies, identify a plan for the site to implement and fix all identified deficiencies.
- Deliver on-time and quality projects
- Analyze WHS metrics and review incident weekly and monthly incident trends to discover trends and propose action plans.
- Perform frequent site WHS audits to identify all non-compliance equipment and/or processes at the sites. Implement solutions to eliminate exposure to these risks and prevent injury.
- Develop and audit record-keeping practices to be aligned with global WHS standards and local regulations.
- Audit the workplace organization and employee behaviors to ensure that training, auditing and scoring methods are accurate and consistent.
- Ensure site leaders and employees are trained and knowledgeable of their responsibilities under the policies. Audit the quality, delivery (including qualifications of the trainer), and effectiveness of all required WHS training.
- Identify best practices and incorporate these best practices into our standards to continuously improve company safety policies.
- Partner with corporate and other regional field safety personnel to leverage global safety and environmental best practices into NA network standards.
- Lead and mentor teams across the sites.
- Monitor industrial health compliance.
- Interact with others on the administration of the workers comp programs and implementation of workplace ergonomics and program solutions.
- Perform all training as it relates to new and or improved safety policies at all sites
- Partner and collaborate with onsite temporary staffing agencies risk and safety team to ensure all US sites are compliant with Coupang standard meeting OSHA and Cal/OSHA regulations
- 10+ years' of increasing responsibilities in safety and/or environmental programs in manufacturing, production, or service operations
- Experience implementing lean principles and process improvement in an operational environment
- BS/BA in Safety, Environmental, Ergonomics or a related field required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with Directors and VP’s
- Distribution Center, Fulfillment Center or Manufacturing WHS experience with mix of exempt and non-exempt employees at a site of at least 250 people preferred
- Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization
- Certified EHS/HSE/WHS Professional preferred
- Cal-OSHA certification
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Ability to adapt well to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, and strategy
- Ability to professionally handle changing priorities and use good judgment in stressful situation
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.